Well, it’s been over a year since my last post… right when one year comes to a close, and as enter a New Year (not to mention, today is also my birthday – YAY!). I didn’t mean for it to be this long. It kind of just happened. The truth is, it was a much welcomed break. During this time, I’ve done a lot of growing and finding my place. It’s been a year of self-discovery, direction, and purpose. A year of looking back at where I’ve been, and finally knowing where I’m headed.
As I reflect on these things, I can’t help but look forward to what the future holds. There’s something about the idea of a new year that exhilarates us and brings us this kind of expectation. The idea of a clean slate, a fresh start, inspires us to do better and to BE better.
Though it had some disappointments, this year wasn’t too shabby. I didn’t go into it with any particular goals in mind other than growing closer to God (which we should strive to do daily anyway). But with that said, some pretty cool things did happen this year…
- I became the Lead Editor of my friend Nina’s online magazine.
- I submitted a few posts to an online blog for young Apostolic millennials.
- Overcame Anxiety
- I started a prayer journal… best decision I ever made.
- I finished my personal journal (which I’ve never done before).
- I went river-tubing… super fun!
- Traveled to DC with the best young adults group ever
- Started a blog for The Bridge
- Made some life-long friends.
Every year, I try to go into the New Year with a word or phrase that becomes my focus for the year – a mantra if you will. I was talking with a friend this week about this and I told her, “I just want to go deeper with God!” So this year, I’m going deeper… with God, in my relationships with others, and myself – my dreams and purpose. And I intend to incorporate my theme this year into this blog.
Though I didn’t come into 2016 with any actual goals, I am going into 2017 with a few in mind. They range from spiritual to personal and everything in between… These are pretty general, but this is just to give you all an idea so you can write some of your own goals for 2017… if you haven’t already. 😉
- Relationship with God – Actually study my Bible… not just read it. Pray more. Fast more. Devote more time on things in the Kingdom rather than the things of this world. Serve humbly. Love with His eyes. Being sensitive to His spirit.
- Relationship with others – Making more time for family and friends. Truly listening to understand, rather than to respond. To shoot down all gossip and negativity. Serve my community. Encouraging the people in my life to pursue their goals, passions, dreams, and God-given purpose.
- Relationship with myself – Eat healthier. Exercise (ugh). Read more books (the goal is at least 20). Become better at time management. Develop a budget (aka: adulting). Take time to treat myself at least once a week (it could be a nice long bath, binge watching my favorite show, getting a massage… the list is endless haha). Be screen free after 9pm every evening (I’ve tried this before and it’s hard… but y’all, it’s life-changing when you stick to it). Develop good sleep habits and wake up earlier every day.
While I have goals for myself, I have goals for this blog as well… and that is to incorporate this theme of “deeper” into my writing this year and focusing on the topics above… more about that in a later post. I also plan on branching out and utilizing other social media platforms this year. I believe that as we go on this journey together in 2017, it’s important that we connect and grow together.
I’m looking forward to all that 2017 holds as we go DEEPER together!